Kari Grohn's Home Page - Japan - Nikko

Toshogu Reisai

Chuzenjiko

Kanmangafuchi

Goohanshiki

Shinkyo Bridge, Nikko  

Between the town of Nikko and its main shrines there is a red lacquered bridge spanning across the Daiya River. The sacred bridgefs (Shinkyo) simple elegance contrasts with the misty and untamed river and the evergreen hills. The Shinkyo was originally built in 1636 for the exclusive use of the Shogun and his emissaries.   

Nikko has been revered as a holy ground since the Buddhist Saint Shodo Shonin (735-817) arrived at its wild streams. When Shodo was unable to cross a river he prayed on his knees and hence met a dreadful beast carrying two snakes. The being was the water god who tossed the red and blue snakes toward the priest. Then the serpents grew wild sedges forming a rainbow bridge across the chasm. 

Back to Index

@